We recently saw Mark Wahlberg's Bone Broth Fast that helped him lose 10 lbs. in just 5 days, and now The SHJ Army wants to what the deal is with Bone Broth!
Here is a quick and easy Bone Broth Recipe that can also be replicated with an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
- Bones and carcass of 1 chicken
- 12 cups filtered water
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 generous pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- Extra Sea Salt and/or Black Pepper
- 1 sliced lemon
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add the bones leftover from a whole roasted chicken (Yes, even including legs and wings that may have been on your serving platter), or the bones from 1 chicken purchased from a butcher!
- OPTIONAL: Add the lemon wedges and rosemary that were cooked with your roasted chicken.
- Top with filtered water until generously covered (about 12 cups / 2880 ml). This should eventually reduce down by about 1/3 or 1/2 while cooking, which will leave you with about 6-8 cups of bone broth.
- Next, add in a bit of salt and pepper to season the broth.
- Then add apple cider vinegar (which is added primarily because the acidity breaks down the collagen and makes it more abundant in your broth). You can also sub lemon juice, if you'd like, but our preference is the apple cider vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and proceed to cover. Cook for at least 10-12 hours (or until reduced by 1/3 to 1/2).
- Sidebar: The more it reduces, the more intense the flavor will become and the more collagen will be extracted. Generally 12 hours seems to be the sweet spot, but you can do less..or more...
- Strain and discard the bones.
NOTE: This can also be done with an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
Yield: 6-8 Cups
Serving Size: 1 Cup
Calories: 53 Calories
Looking to step it up a notch?
Join The Superhero Academy and start unleashing your inner Superhuman.