Last updated on June 30th, 2017 at 05:20 pm
This is a Guest Article Courtesy of Dave from The Superhero Academy!
Watch out for more from Dave with his own Username here on SHJ!
Welcome to my inaugural recipe post SHJ True Believers!
My name is Dave, and while I could list pages of kitchen related jobs and credentials, I find it easier to tell this community that a radioactive spider crossed my path years ago. Truth be told though, I’m a self taught average joe with a superhuman sense for what tastes great and I’m here to share my findings. Each recipe will feature a minimum of one of the elusive superfoods because what else do you think superhumans consume?
Today’s Featured Recipe:
Greek Tuna Salad with Avocado Dressing
My first recipe is an avocado driven twist to an American classic relying on some herculean inspiration. Mainly to demonstrate to the flexibility of this superfruit (that’s right it’s a stone fruit). In addition to being a nutrient dense food avocados bring 15 grams of healthy fats to the party, have 3 grams of protein, and 7 grams of fiber dense carbs. We are going to be manipulating this amazing ingredient, and using it to replace nutrient poor mayo. Avocados are a great base for salad dressings, which at the end of day is what we will be making here. This protein based salad makes a great tasting mid day meal that relies on the healthy fats of the avocado for energy and the protein dense punch of tuna for muscle fuel. Other benefits of canned or pouched tuna, is it’s got a long shelf life and won’t break your budget. Now, if you are like me canned tuna is an ingredient you may just outright hate. It’s an ingredient lacking in fresh taste that can be off-putting. And that my friends is why I want to teach you to transform this dieting staple, into an amazing tasting dish infused with the superpowers of avocado. I promise you even if you hate tuna you will like this, the fresh veggies and lemon pepper elevate this sandwich to levels that you never expected out of health food.
Nutrition Pillar Info
Now, this recipe is more in the vein of our Mediterranean Diet from the Nutritional Pillars, but this recipe can be easily modified into the Paleo Pillar, just skip the Paleo ingredient no-nos in the list below and eat the whole bowl like a hungry hulk-like caveman.
- 5 ounces (two pouches) of lemon pepper marinated Tuna fish (can sub for low sodium or standard tuna)
- 1 medium avocado
- ¼ medium sweet onion (diced)
- ⅓ cup red sweet bell pepper (diced)
- ⅓ cup seedless cucumber (diced)
- 2 tablespoons (tbsp) Feta Cheese
- ½ lemon
- 1 medium clove garlic can use pre minced garlic, in this case 1 teaspoon (tsp)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic salt (you can use sea salt or table salt I just prefer the extra flavor)
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper (you don’t need to use the fresh stuff, but you’ll be missing out on some great flavor)
- Cut your avocado lengthwise, remove the core, and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Grab a fork and hulk smash your avocado until it’s a guacamole like paste.
- Squeeze your lemon into either a separate bowl, or into your hand. The goal here is only get the lemon juice into the bowl and not the seeds. Lemon seeds are incredibly acrid and can ruin even the best recipe.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, oregano, garlic salt and black pepper to your mashed avocado. Stir until combined.
- Dice your onion, red pepper, and cucumber and add them directly to your avocado. Add the feta cheese and stir until combined.
- Now open your pouches or cans of Tuna Fish and add them to the avocado mixture, stir until combined.
- If you want to make the sandwich version continue on, do note that you will want to add the carbs of your bread of choice to your calorie tracker. If bread is your kryptonite then grab your fork and eat the whole bowl for a nutrition packed meal that logs in at less than 500 calories.
- For bread eaters only, lay out your bread and add a bed of leafy greens. Kale is my weapon of choice here, another great high fiber superfood. Note: I’m making two sandwiches here.
- Divide your tuna avocado mixture evenly.
- Top with bread, and excelsior and enjoy.
Full nutritional stats, courtesy of MyFitnessPal:
Unlock Over 500 Celeb & Character Workouts + Get New Routines Every Week
Join The Superhero Academy
Join The Superhero Academy and start unleashing your inner SuperHuman.