At Superhero Jacked the goal is to unleash our inner superhuman.
And we have a member who has quite literally done just that.
Spoiler: He went from 275 lbs to a 185 lb RIPPED Wolverine at nearly 50 years old.
Dads out there, take some notes, because Gonzalo is here to show you how it’s done!
Gonzalo is a member of our Academy Premier, and has actually now even helped me build out some of our core programs at SHJ.
So not only has he dominated his own transformation, but he helps me guinea pig test other programs to in turn help hundreds of members within The SHJ Army.
But, the best way to tell this story is to have Gonzalo do it, so we’ll go ahead and go over his stats and then let him take it away.
Beginning Weight: 275# (at heaviest) 245# when joined SHJ
End Weight: #185 now
Age: 49 years old
1. Who are you? (If you’d like, tell us about you. Work, other hobbies, Etc.)
My name is Gonzalo Herrero. I’m your typical 49 year old dad and family guy- wife, three kids, two dogs. I work as a Strategy and Control consultant for a large multinational bank, in a dynamic office setting. My hobbies nowadays are really working out and playing with my kids – as well as assorted nerdy pursuits like video games, tabletop games and just about anything Star Wars, Marvel, DC or comic book related, amongst many others.
2. Tell us about your transformation (weight loss, goals, etc.)
So, there was a point around four years ago, where I had left myself go. Stress, a busy lifestyle and a general lack of discipline; the usual stuff in your mid forties- and I got to be 275 pounds. I couldn’t keep up with my family during vacations, it was miserable. I had that moment of clarity, and decided to take charge and change things. One of my kids is a competitive rock climber, so I had a membership at his gym – and decided to start working out while he was taking lessons. I was there already, right? That’s how it all started. My initial goal was to lose 25 pounds, then it evolved as the goals were achieved, into where I am now.
3. How did you find SHJ?
Well, as I started getting serious about exercising, I started researching about fitness- routines, exercises, workout strategies and so on. I was also impressed with the stories of actors who were able to transform for movie roles, because it showed that with the right plan, radical change is possible. As I was researching, I decided to find actors who were roughly my height, and see what I could find – and being a Batman fan, I ended up on SHJ, looking at Tom Hardy’s Bane transformation- and we were off to the races! I now had a solid starting point.
4. What program did you start with?
I started with the Tom Hardy Bane program- by this time, I had already become familiar with the basic lifts, and lost some weight- was probably around 245 or so- so I figured this would be a way to ease into the routine, and burn calories to lose weight. I barely had any idea of what nutritional strategy to follow. So I ended up getting more muscular- but still bulky! I knew I needed to learn and do more, and pay attention to nutritional aspect of the equation- so I went ahead and jumped in with both feet into the Superhero Academy at SHJ- I read everything I could, found a strategy and program that worked for me (in this case, the Superhuman System) and got serious. This was around October of 2019. A year later, and I’m sitting at 185, in the best shape of my entire life!
5. What is your favorite superhero (or character)?
My favorite superhero is Captain America- a strong moral code and the willpower to always try to do the right thing and never, ever quit! Truly inspirational! Daredevil is a close second, again, I like the guys fighting against the odds no matter what, for what’s right!
6. Favorite Superhero or Nerd Show/Movie (Can give top 3 of each)
Favorite superhero movies/nerd shows? That’s tough, so many choices! Well, I loved “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”, second on my list would have to be “The Empire Strikes Back”, and third would have to “Casino Royale”, the Daniel Craig version. They are great in their own way!
7. Whatever else you’d like to add (Maybe some of your own tips for the SHJ Army)
Man, the biggest tips I can give anyone here are these:
- Whatever you do, be consistent. Keep hammering at it, day in, day out. Think of your health as a bank account accruing interest, and you’re putting money into it every time you workout or stay on goal with your nutrition!
- Set achievable goals that allow you to measure progress- maybe “I want to lose 5 pounds in a month”, or “I want to be able to do 20 push ups in a row”- anything that can be objectively measured. Then add another goal after that! My first workout ever was literally “Do 12 push ups today”- and here we are! Reaching those goals are the stepping stones to whatever larger objective you have (“I want to lose 80 pounds”, for example!).
- Always learn, always listen and use what you learn. Adapt and improve as you go. Don’t be discouraged by setbacks- learn from them and move on!
- Plug into your support system! We have a great community here at Superhero Jacked- use that energy to help you stay motivated and accountable, and you’ll get there before you know it!
I have been lucky enough to watch a good chunk of Gonzalo’s transformation first hand, and I can tell you that he is just as much of a beast as the picture above makes it seem.
I mean, that has to be the best transformation into Logan that you’ve ever seen, right…?
I have been wanting to share this success story with The SHJ Army for SO long, but Gonzalo assured me that he was just about ready, and that he wanted to hit his 185 marker for Logan before we got it up for everyone.
And I could not have asked for a better story from such an incredibly motivated and inspirational person.
Thank you, Gonzalo: I can’t wait to see what you crush next.
SHJ’s Nick Fury