- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (white or apple cider works)
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- (use 3/4 cup coconut flour for a gluten-free version)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat together the butter, applesauce, sugar and agave nectar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vinegar until fairly smooth. Then beat in the egg until smooth.
- Add the baking soda and flour and mix well. Add the oats and both kinds of chips, stirring to combine.
- Drop dough balls of about two level tablespoons (using a tablespoon measure, not a dinner spoon) onto cookie sheets. Space the cookies two inches apart — leave plenty of room because they will spread out!
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, reversing the pans halfway through (top rack to bottom, bottom to top). For softer cookies, bake for the shorter amount of time; for crunchier, the longer. Cool the cookies on the pan for two minutes, then transfer them with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
Looking to step it up a notch?
Join The Superhero Academy and start unleashing your inner Superhuman.