We've now seen our a decent handful of top supplement articles here at SHJ.
But now we're going to be diving into some of the top glutamine supplements on the market.
And, if I'm being honest, this list is going to look EXTREMELY similar to our top creatine supplements; with only one deviation.
But, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I do want to talk a little about glutamine, what it is, and why you should be utilizing it.
Here's what WebMD tells us about Glutamine [and what it is]:
"Glutamine is the most abundant free amino acid in the body. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Glutamine is produced in the muscles and is distributed by the blood to the organs that need it. Glutamine might help gut function, the immune system, and other essential processes in the body, especially in times of stress. It is also important for providing "fuel" (nitrogen and carbon) to many different cells in the body. Glutamine is needed to make other chemicals in the body such as other amino acids and glucose (sugar)."
And, if you want that broken down a bit more because now you're asking "Yeah, but what does it do for me?", I have you covered there as well!
Here's what Bodybuilding.com lists as ton of the benefits of taking Glutamine:
- Glutamine has been linked to protein synthesis. It prevents your muscle from being catabolized (eaten up) in order to provide Glutamine for other cells in the body.
- Glutamine benefits you by replenishing declining Glutamine levels during intense workouts.
- Glutamine may serve to boost your immune system. For bodybuilders, this is important since heavy workouts tend to greatly deplete Glutamine levels. (Glutamine is a primary energy source for your immune system.)
- Glutamine is one of the most important nutrients for your intestines.
So now you know what it is and WHY you're taking it, but I also want to tell you how I'm making our list as well.
How I'm Ranking The Best Glutamine Supplements On The Market:
- The Most Effective Glutamine Supplement
- By “most effective” I mean I’ll be also taking a look at the ingredients and making sure they’re up to par. If not, they’re immediately off the list.
- The Best Bang For Your Buck
- Yes, there can be "better" glutamine powders than other, but that does not mean one powder should be insanely expensive compared to the others; a big component of this ranking will be based on getting the most out of our hard earned dollars.
THE TOP GLUTAMINE SUPPLEMENTS
Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Powder
One swap you'll notice from our top creatines over to our top glutamine supplements is that Optimum Nutrition and MuscleTech swapped from the number one spot.
The main reason for this comes from the flexibility within the price and size. Those prices listed are from 1.3-2.2 pounds!
MuscleTech Platinum Glutamine
Now, the price point on this one is actually not HIGH by any means, it's just not as versatile as our number one spot, so $12.80 for 0.82 pounds is actually great coming from a name like MuscleTech, I just like to be able to save even more and order even less often if I decide to!
Kaged Muscle Glutamine
This is the only other swap that comes in from our creatine top five list and replaces our NAKED Creatine.
The price point (as with NAKED) comes in a bit higher, but Kaged makes it a point to let you know their product is vegan and pure; so if you're looking for a company who takes pride on putting the best product forward, this is one of them!
I almost dropped MusclePharm to number five, or even off the top five list due to it's price being a bit higher of a range than when it is compared with creatine prices, but then I decided some of you may be willing to spend a couple extra bucks to stay with MP.
Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Caps
Yup! I'm sticking to the trend here and giving the fifth and final spot to Optimum Nutrition's Glutamine CAPSULES.
So they came in at number one for their powder but I do want to make note that capsules are available and ON does a great job at a great price to anyone who prefers to take their glutamine this way.
That’s a wrap.
Either way, get out there and begin unleashing your inner superhuman!
Until next time,
Looking to step it up a notch?
Join The Superhero Academy and start unleashing your inner Superhero.