Last updated on May 4th, 2020 at 11:18 am
I’m going to start this one off just like I did for Ian Somerhalder.
Which seems fitting enough. So here it is:
Vampire Diaries is over, but the legacy lives on.
And, people love them some Nina Dobrev…aka Elena.
I also just finished up a winter course with the final week of the course revolving around Vampires, which was pretty awesome!
So this week will be the Damon and Elena duo, aka Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev.
But, as I mentioned on Ian’s routine, we have also seen other vampire related celebrities like Wesley Snipes, Luke Evans, Jessica Biel, Ryan Reynolds, Taylor Lautner, and Joe Manganiello – to name a few.
And, I also said I probably should have ONLY named Vampires, but I included celebs who are also in shows or movies with them…
Nina Dobrev Stats:
Weight:(approximate) 120 lbs.
Age: 29 years old
Nina Dobrev is actually JUST above average height for the women we see at SHJ. She’s not quite as tall as women like Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Gwendoline Christie, Karen Gillan, Zendaya, Rihanna, and many more women that are above average.
But, this is just for fun.
Regardless of your height and weight you can utilize this routine.
Join The Superhero Academy and start changing your life.
Take The SHJ Program Quiz and find the perfect program for YOU.
Nina Dobrev Diet and Nutrition
Nina Dobrev has talked about her diet, nutrition, and workout routine with Shape, US Magazine, and SELF.
In an interview with Shape she says this about her diet:
SHAPE: What type of nutritional plan do you recommend for her?
SM: She has sampled my meal delivery service, MoyerMeals, and is a fan of our Superfood Protein Balls. I stress a diet that is balanced. It’s not no-carb or low-carb; it’s correct-carb (for all I know, I coined this term). Very few processed foods. Lots of vegetables. No diet should be too restrictive. For all the people out there against calorie counting, you really can’t progress in your knowledge of nutrition until you understand your body’s relationship to calories. It’s calorie awareness, not calorie counting.
I specifically like that she says “no diet should be too restrictive”.
In The Academy, and at SHJ, we definitely opt for sustainability. The Nutrition Classes (Monk, SuperHuman, Viking, Spartan, Hunter Gatherer, Samurai, Minimalist) we use in The Academy reflect that as well.
In a more recent article with Shape, they tell us:
Last week, Nina Dobrev was officially announced as the new face of the Reebok x Les Mils partnership.
In this article she states this about her dietary guidelines and changes:
She eats way more—and feels leaner.
“I used to eat three full meals and then I would not be able to move after each meal. I would be so full and tired. Now, I eat all the time but portion control is what’s important for me—I’m eating more in total but not more at a time. Lissa [Nina’s trainer at Les Mills] coached me through it, but basically, I aim to have the size of my thumb in fat, the size of my palm in protein, and then unlimited veggies. I wish I’d learned this in school.”
I really like the way Lissa makes it so easy to portion and continue to sustain, so this is definitely something you guys can pick up and utilize within your own regimes.
Join The Academy for Weekly New Celeb & Character Workouts
Take The Free Workout Placement Quiz and find the best free workout for you.
Nina Dobrev Workout Routine Research
Before going deeper, I already linked to the article announcement of Dobrev’s partnership with Reebok, but you can also find more pics of her working out on her own Instagram as well.
In an interview with Dobrev’s old trainer, we’re told:
SHAPE: What type of training are you doing with Nina?
Steve Moyer (SM): We focus on core work and all-around fitness: strength, coordination, balance, flexibility, and endurance. Workouts with any client of mine are typically one hour.
Shape actually gives us a full one day routine style that Dobrev would utilize, which I’ll also be sharing with you guys in the full workout below.
In the updated article you hear more about Dobrev’s new routine when they tell us:
She uses this trick to get through tough workouts.
“Music is a big part of my training and my life. Before I had a trainer I would go to the gym and go on the treadmill and whenever it was the chorus I would sprint and whenever it was not the chorus I would just jog. If there’s a beat I can usually get into a groove and sense what’s happening and if something burns I just plow through it because the music is what drives me.”
She became a morning workout person.
“You need to make a decision—do I want to look and feel a certain way and put the work into it? I see the difference so I make the time for it on set. I would wake up an hour earlier. Even though I was exhausted after a 12-hour day and did not want to work out, I did it because I always knew I would feel better after. I do it first thing when I wake up because then I can’t make up an excuse for it, like being tired later on in the day. Because usually by 6 p.m. you’re just like, I have no energy. I’ve done all the things I’ve done! I don’t want to do anything else! I just get it done in the morning.”
This update I’ll be sharing a 30 min clip from Reebok’s Les Mills workout with Nina, and also be building you some routines to utilize similar to their style below.
Check out all The SHJ Programs and start unleashing your inner SuperHuman.
The Nina Dobrev Workout Routine
3-5 days per week
I’m going to be giving you some options to utilize. You can use the video above, the Shape exercise that Dobrev utilized with trainer Steve Moyer, and also some options similar to that of Les Mills from Reebok, who loves HIIT training.
Want To Upgrade This Workout?
The Superhero Academy now comes with an Upgrade Your Workout Tool that allows Academy members to turn any SHJ workout into a 4-8 week fully planned regime detailing exact weights to lift and including reverse & tradition pyramid training, straight sets, super sets, progressive overload and more.
Steve Moyer’s Triple-Threat Workout
You’ll need: A medicine ball and exercise mat.
How it works: These exercises are excellent for tightening the inner and outer thighs, butt, and core (three common “trouble zones” for women). Do 1 set of each exercise back to back, with no rest between moves. Unless otherwise noted, complete as many reps as you can with proper form (or for up to 60 seconds).
1. Basic Lunges: Keep your upper body straight, with your shoulders back and relaxed and chin up (pick a point to stare at in front of you so you don’t keep looking down). Always engage your core. Step forward with one leg, lowering your hips until both knees are bent at about a 90-degree angle. Make sure your front knee isn’t pushed too far beyond your ankle and your back knee doesn’t touch the floor. Press through front heel to push back up to the starting position. Repeat on the other side.
2. Jumping Lunges: Step forward with your left leg. Explosively push off left foot to jump up, raising arms overhead. Land with both feet together. Repeat on opposite leg.
3. Walking Lunges: Consider this a basic lunge with a major boost. Instead of going back to the starting position, you’ll step forward and repeat the move with a different leg, and continue walking forward, alternating legs. Add dumbbells to work those biceps too!
4. Reverse Lunges: This is similar to the basic lunge but you step back instead of forward.
5. Squats: Place feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, hips stacked over knees, knees over ankles. Roll shoulders back and down away from the ears. Extend arms straight out from shoulders, palms facing down. Initiate movement by inhaling into the belly and unlocking the hips, slightly bringing them back. Keep sending hips back as knees begin to bend. Keep chest and shoulders upright and spine neutral during the entire movement. Let hips squat lower than knees, if comfortable. Engage the core, and exhale while driving through the heels to return to standing. Imagine the feet are spreading the floor (the left foot to the left, right foot to the right) without actually moving the feet.
6. Medicine Ball Walk: Place a medicine ball between ankles. Squeeze thighs so that the ball stays off the ground. Take very short steps, keeping feet parallel as if they were on two tracks. Maintain this form and reverse (walking backwards). Again, the toes never bow in or out, feet stay parallel to each other. Feel it in your inner thighs and abs.
1. Plank Pushups: Lie facedown on the floor on your stomach. Lift your body off the floor so that you’re resting on your forearms and toes, elbows should be bent at 90 degrees. Hold your body in a straight position as you push up into full plank, one hand at a time. Tighten the abdominal muscles and hold this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Lower into a pushup by bending elbows to 90 degrees. Keep abdominal muscles tight throughout. Elbows should be close to the sides of body as you lower until chest hits the floor. Inhale as you lift yourself up by straightening arms to resume full plank position. Pause briefly at the top (1-2 seconds) before lowering down into pushup position again. Repeat for 10 to 15 repetitions or until you reach fatigue.
2. Plank Reaches: From full plank position, lift right arm and extend it forward at shoulder height as you lift left leg behind you so that it’s parallel to floor, toes pointed. Hold for 10 counts, then lower to return to plank. Switch sides and repeat.
3. Side Planks: Prop yourself up on right forearm so that you make a straight line from head to heels. Elbow should be directly below shoulder, abdominals gently contracted. Keep hips lifted off the floor and square and your neck in line with spine. Hold 20 to 40 seconds and lower. Repeat on the other side. Do 2 or 3 reps per side.
HIIT Options like Les Mills Reebok Routine
20 Minutes of HIIT Cardio Options:
1 min on: Run 5.5-10 mph
1 min off: Walk 2.5-3.3 mph
Rinse and repeat for 20 min
1 min on: Resistance 5-10 and RPMs above 100
1 min off: Resistance 1-3 and RPM consistent 30-70
Rinse and repeat for 20 min
10 Minute or Less Options (Perform 1-3 of These)
Join The Superhero Academy and start unleashing your inner SuperHuman.